The other day I was sitting at home talking with a friend from high school who I hadn’t seen in a while. A tweet came up on my phone from Michael Jazen, our friend at Tiny House Design, which showed a Tiny House and sparked a conversation. She looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to live in a Tiny House, which I normally get that reaction, but what was interesting was what followed. She said “that’s so weird, why can’t you be normal?”
I had a little chuckle and said this:
Well what IS normal? Normal is to get married, have a few kids, drive a nice car, have a successful career, live comfortably and live in a nice houses don’t you agree?
She agreed and I went on.
Well let’s take a bit closer look at this; What are the implications of being normal?
- Getting married is great but it ends in divorce 60% of the time (average cost of $15,000).
- Having kids means your life isn’t about you anymore and kids are expensive, Half a Million expensive!
- The average cost of a car is around $30,000
- The average cost of a house today is around $260,000, but you will pay $800,000 through the loan
- For living comfortably 1 in 20 Americans have $8,000+ in credit card debt
- A successful career means you spend most of your time not with loved ones or doing what you love
So if I am NORMAL it means that in the end I will be done with my divorce, “own” a house and a car that I really don’t own, but will pay 4 times the original price tag for at the end of the loan. Then to top it off I will have two kids, who I love very much, but will only get to see them for two hours, which debt collectors will be calling during, until I get them to bed and collapse myself. All in all, I don’t get to spend time with those who I love. I own nothing and I owe an average of 1.85 million dollars over my lifetime.
If Normal is being away from people I love and forever in debt, then I sure as hell don’t wanna be normal do you?
She looked at me as if she had suddenly seen color for the first time in her life, as if she had be seeing in black and white up to this point.
So people, the rub? BE WEIRD!