When you’re determined to get out of debt, or save for a big purchase, you want to do it as quickly as possible. Today we’re going to look at how you can make more money to hit your goals even faster.
Now, in all honesty, these 5 different suggestions are not going to make you rich, nor are they meant to replace your main form of income. Instead these are strategies that you can use in the short term to help you reach your financial goal.
Both my husband and I have used a couple of these tips to help us earn some extra money. My husband asked around to people he knew and ended up getting an on-call job with the city as a stagehand for our local auditorium. I on the other hand, decided to use my speaking skills and media skills as a teacher to create my own YouTube channel about personal finance and documenting our debt-free journey.
So if you’re willing to take some of your extra time and turn it into extra money for your bank account, let’s get started:
- Turn your hobby or your skill into extra money: Consider what you enjoy doing and know how to do and see if that is something that you can make some extra money from. For example, if you have a dog, and take that dog for a walk everyday, why not look into becoming a dog walker for other people in your neighborhood too? This is a great, easy way to make a few extra dollars. Crafty? Consider opening up an Etsy shop to sell your goods.
- Do some freelance work online: If you are interested in making extra money, but would like to do it from home, there is a great opportunity to pick up some freelance work. Check out Upwork. Becoming a freelancer allows you to select jobs that suit your interests and set your own workload.
- Flip thrift store finds: If you’re willing to spend the time searching through the racks, you may in fact find some sought after name brand labels that you could look at reselling online. You want to do your research to see what certain brand names go for in order to be sure it is worth your while, but this is a great way to supplement your income from the comfort of your own home.
- Selling your unwanted items: Do you have any old cell phones or tablets lying around if you’ve upgraded to the latest model? Do you have any DVDs hanging around that you don’t watch anymore? Do you have any home items that you simply don’t need? Selling your unwanted items is a great way to free up some extra money and get rid of some unwanted clutter.
- Ask around: Let your friends and family know that you’re looking to pick up a few extra hours of work. Perhaps this will lead to some casual part time work either in a place of work or by helping others by completing small jobs.
This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but will hopefully spark some inspiration about what you might be able to do if you are looking for ways to increase your income.
- What is something that you have done to earn extra money?