Today, we’re officially unveiling a new feature of The Tiny Life that we’re super excited about. If you listen to our podcast, Tiny House Chat, you’ve probably heard our latest episode about our new tiny house plans review page. It’s high time for us to write a blog post about this new resource, and we’re eager to share it with you.
If you’re going to build a tiny house, one of the most important steps happens way before you ever wield a chop saw: choosing a house plan. There are hundreds of tiny house plans on the market, and they’re scattered all over the Internet, and you can’t know for certain what you’re going to get for your money. Ryan and I wanted to help put an end to all the confusion.
We rounded up our favorite tried-and-true tiny house plans and gathered them in one place to help you find the plan that’s best for you. The houses come in all shapes and sizes, but we they all have these two criteria in common:
- The house has to be on wheels.
- The house has to have been built and lived in before.
The second point above is how we know a plan can succeed as a safe and comfortable home. You can create conceptual 3D tiny house models all day long, but until they exist and function as both a solid structure and a full-time home in the real world, there’s no way to know how well a design will actually work.
We then collected the plans and pored over them for hours, inspecting all the details that a newbie builder would need to consider – and all the ones that you wouldn’t have thought about either!
Here’s what you can find on the tiny house plans page:
- Sixteen main criteria to help you know what to look for in tiny house plans
- A detailed at-a-glance comparison grid to quickly compare all seven tiny house plans
- Our recommendations for different plans based on your needs
- A free “How to Read House Plans” guide
- Thorough reviews of every house plan
- Photos and screenshots of the plans so you know what to expect when you buy
- A “new builder friendly” ranking for each plan
- In-depth interviews with the plan designers to gain more insight into each design
We hope that this resource will simplify and streamline the process of choosing a house plan for your own future tiny home. The tiny house plans we picked to review are the cream of the crop for what is available for sale, so we feel confident recommending them to you.
To see the full tiny house plans page, click here or click the “Plans” tab in the menu at the top of the page. Happy hunting!