So for many years I’ve written about how you shouldn’t have new year’s resolutions. How you should focus on what you have accomplished, not what you don’t yet have. There are a lot of good reasons to not set goals at new years, but this year I decided, all that be damned, I want to make a list!
Now to be fair, some of these are goals I’ve already set, they are just a reaffirmation to myself. After this post I’d love to hear your goals and tips for reaching goals!
Goals are important things, they bring a focus to your life, they allow you to determine how to prioritize things. It can make decisions simpler: “does this action get closer to my goal?”. They can also be used to achieve a much larger goal, by breaking that big goal, into smaller steps.
The list of goals could be a bucket list, a list of affirmations, it could be new year’s resolutions, what ever form or name you use, there are a few key things to consider.
- Write your goals down and post where you’ll see them daily
- Make sure your goals are specific, concrete and realistic
- Have deadlines. Someday almost always turns into never
- Make them worded so you can objectively know when they are achieved
Looking back at 2014 I am really happy with what I achieved, there were some really big wins for me.
The first was I able to write and publish a book through a publisher and see it on the shelves in Barnes & Nobel. The book also just hit number one on Amazon for two categories, making it the top tiny house book of 2014. You can check it out here.
Another big goal for me was to travel to and live in another country. For this, I choose Croatia for a lot of reasons, you can read about it here.
In 2014 I decided I wanted to read more fiction. Most of my reading has been non fiction and I felt like I was lacking in reading fun stuff. So I set myself to read more fiction this past year, in the end, I read 41 fiction books.
Finally and most obviously, I moved into my tiny house! It’s been great finally getting to live in it and life has changed a lot for the better.
So for 2015 my goals are going to look a bit different from last year because I’ve now hit my three largest and toughest goals on my bucket list. Plus living in a tiny house has opened a lot of doors for me: financially I have more funds to make things happen, time wise I have a lot more free time and how I meet my obligations have become a lot more flexible, and finally I now can work from anywhere, so I can be anywhere (with my tiny house or otherwise).
My Goals For 2015:
- Have an awesome Tiny House Conference in Portland and meet a lot of cool people doing it!
- Take at least one extended vacation: road trip across the US and/or live in Budapest/Berlin for 3 months.
- See my sister walk down the aisle: She is getting married in March
- Start a new business in order to diversify my income
- Find or start a Mastermind Group
My Long Range Goals:
- Sail from Florida to Mexico, arriving to see the Giant Sea Ray migration
- Do a river boat tour down the Danube or Rhine
- Go see the fall colors in New England
- Go on the Trans Siberian Railroad in luxury class
- Learn to play the harmonica
- Continue being self employed
- Pay with cash for my next car
- What are some of your goals?
- What are some tricks and tips to achieve your goals or keep motivated?