So it has been a long time since I’ve updated you all on my tiny house because of what I am dubbing “The Great Window Saga”. It all started last spring when I made the decision to widen the door from my existing plans. The door of the Fencl is only 22 inches wide and after I framed it, I realized that I couldn’t walk straight through my door, because – after measuring – my shoulders are 27 inches across. So doing that math I knew it didn’t add up. So I re-engineered the whole front wall.
I had designed this to widen the door, but I was still able to use the three windows my plans recommends in the front bay. Everything was good and I wouldn’t have changed a thing about that. Fast forward to installing the windows. The plans recommended to have 3 window sashes that you can integrate together by making your own window frame. So I thought about it a long time and came up with the best way to do this. I then fabricated all the wooden pieces I’d need to make the frame and got assembling.
I decided at that point that I wanted to have my windows at this point be able to open, because I wanted the air circulation and its also the area that I’m going to be looking out the most as it is my desk space.
What I ended up with was a double casement window that matched the rest of the windows. This window opens up really wide so I can let a ton of air in if I want and it also looks really nice because it will be the window I look out most as it is where my desk will be. So I bit the bullet, ordered it and waited.
Here’s where the real saga began. Since it was a custom ordered window, it took 4 weeks to get in. The window finally came in – yeah! – then I realized something…. They had made the window the wrong size! So we reordered it. A month later the window came in – yeah! – and at the store I asked to inspect it before I signed for it. We’ll I’m glad I did because they sent the window with the wrong grill pattern! So we reordered it, waited a month, the next new window came in – yeah! – oh wait… what’s that a crack? Is that corner bashed in? yup! So we reordered it again!!!! Wait a month!
Now at this point what I decided to do was because the issue was with the casement, not the actual frame, they told me I could install it and they would come out and replace just the casement/sash part when it gets in. So that’s where I am now.
All in all this one window has held me up 4 months! Which meant I had to extend my rent 4 times!!! All of which culminated into the worlds most expensive tiny house window and killed my timeline. Since I didn’t have the window in, I couldn’t finish the siding, which meant that I couldn’t really start doing interior finish work. Now I am finally back at work on the tiny house after this saga.
I’ll post more photos when I get a chance.